German court upholds prison sentence for Afghan man over attack on Verdi in Munich

  • A German court upheld a prison sentence for an Afghan man for an attack on Verdi in Munich that took place in 2019.
  • The court handed down a 13-year sentence: the man was found guilty of attempted murder, causing injuries to 40 people, and of the physical assault of people.
  • The court found that the man’s actions were connected to the Islamic State (IS), and that the material evidence for the investigation was sufficient to establish his involvement.

For more details, see CT24, Czech News, Czech News.

A German court on Thursday upheld a prison sentence for an Afghan man for an attack in Munich, which the prosecution described as an attempt to kill two people. The court also found the man responsible for injuring two people in the incident.

As for the charges, the court ruled that the defendant was convicted of attempted murder, having driven into a crowd during a protest in Munich. The court said that the man’s actions were connected to the Islamic State (IS). The court also ruled that the defendant’s mental state had been assessed during the proceedings.

The court, however, said that the defendant’s actions were not driven by religious motives, and that the prosecution’s claim that he was acting on behalf of the Islamic State (IS) was not proven beyond doubt. The court concluded that the defendant was not acting in pursuit of religious goals, but rather that he had acted out of personal reasons.

In addition, the court said that during the incident the defendant had been driving a vehicle, and that the injuries were caused by the vehicle. The court also noted that the defendant had been assessed as having limited mental capacity.